ACLS invites research proposals from scholars in all disciplines of the humanities and related social sciences. Given the disproportionate effect the current economic downturn has had on emerging, independent, and untenured scholars, ACLS will continue in the 2021-22 competition year to offer these fellowships solely to untenured scholars who have earned the PhD within eight years of the application deadline. ACLS welcomes applications from scholars without faculty appointments and scholars off the tenure track.
In 2021-22, the program will award up to 60 fellowships. ACLS invites applications from scholars pursuing research on topics grounded in any time period, world region, or humanistic methodology.
- ACLS Barrington Foundation Centennial Fellowships in Classical Studies
- ACLS Carl and Betty Pforzheimer Fellowships in English and American Literature
- ACLS Centennial Fellowships in the Dynamics of Place
- ACLS Frederic E. Wakeman, Jr. Fellowships in Chinese History
- ACLS H. and T. King Fellowships in Ancient American Art and Culture
- ACLS/New York Public Library Fellowships (separate application required)
- ACLS Oscar Handlin Fellowships in American History
- ACLS Pauline Yu Fellowships in Chinese or Comparative Literature
- ACLS Susan McClary and Robert Walser Fellowships in Music Studies
- ACLS Yvette and William Kirby Centennial Fellowships in Chinese Studies