DoD Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency Biological Technologies Office BAA
BTO is interested in submissions related to the following areas:
· Discovering and leveraging novel findings from neuroscience, psychology, cognitive science, and related disciplines to advance treatment and resilience in neurological health and optimize human aptitude and performance.
· Understanding and improving interfaces between the biological and physical world to enable seamless hybrid systems.
· Developing and leveraging fundamental understanding of the underlying design rules that govern biological system behavior.
· Developing new tools and capabilities for forward engineering of biological systems (cells, tissues, organs, organisms, and complex communities) to both develop new products and functional systems as well as to gain new insights into underlying mechanisms.
· Developing and validating new theories and computational models that identify factors and principles underlying collective and interactive behaviors of biological organisms at all scales from individual cells to global ecosystems.
Understanding the dynamics of population and ecosystem behavior in order to preserve equilibrium, provide strategic opportunity, or avoid catastrophe.
· Developing and leveraging new technologies that can be applied to agricultural ecosystems for production stabilization by improving quality or reducing losses from pathogens or pests.
· Developing and leveraging new insights into non-human biology across and between populations of microbes, insects, plants, marine life, and other non-human biologic entities.
· Developing new technologies and approaches that ensure biosafety, biosecurity, and protection of the bioeconomy.
· Understanding emerging threats to global food and water supplies and developing countermeasures that can be implemented on a global scale.
· Developing new technologies to treat, prevent, and predict the emergent and spread of infectious diseases that have the potential to cause significant health, economic, and social burden.
· Other biological technology topic areas that fit the scope of BTO’s mission