2018 Public Diplomacy Small Grants Program
Dept of State US Mission to Laos
Note: The UIowa OVPR&ED asks prospective University of Iowa applicants to limited Dept of State programs to email as soon as possible a one-page abstract of their proposal with a link to the program of interest to Ann Knudson firstname.lastname@example.org at UI International Programs Grants Administrator, with a cc to Cheryl Ridgeway email@example.com in the UI Office of the Vice President for Research. If more than two abstracts to this solicitation are received, an internal review will be conducted to select the applicants to submit on behalf of the University of Iowa.
Award Amount will vary between $1,000 and $20,000. Grant proposals must explicitly address one or more of the Public Diplomacy Section priority objectives listed below and create or extend the communities engaged in those areas:
· Inclusiveness and support issues related to: women, disabled persons, LGBT rights, ethnic minorities, other marginalized and stigmatized groups such as victims of human trafficking, underprivileged youth, or religious minorities.
· Promoting fundamental American values: promoting freedom of expression, press, association, and religion through public dialogue and events, cultural performances, the arts.
· Rule of Law, legal rights education and outreach
· Health and wellness
· Youth: non-profit activities to help prepare Lao youth for competitive selection into exchange programs and educational opportunities
· Women’s empowerment
· Alumni: strengthening of connections and cooperation among exchange program alumni
· Volunteering: promoting volunteerism and the spirit of helping others through community service projects, public information and public awareness outreach
· Environment: promoting and supporting the Lower Mekong Initiative, addressing climate change, wildlife trafficking, reducing deforestation and pollution, sustainable development and eco-tourism.
· Cultural Preservation