US Israel Binational Agricultural Research and Development Fund BARD
Jun 9, 2021
U.S. Israel Binational Agricultural R&D Fund
BARD projects focus on increasing agricultural productivity, particularly in hot and arid climates, and emphasize plant and animal health, food quality and safety, and environmental issues. BARD brings together American and Israeli scientists to address important agricultural challenges that concern both countries.
- BARD Research Projects - due Sept. 13, 2021 https://www.bard-isus.com/fundingTypes/Details/1
- BARD Postdoctoral Fellowship Program - due Jan. 17, 2022 https://www.bard-isus.com/fundingTypes/Details/2
- BARD Senior Research Fellowship Program - due Jan. 17, 2022 https://www.bard-isus.com/fundingTypes/Details/7
- BARD Graduate Student Fellowship - due Jan. 17, 2022 https://www.bard-isus.com/fundingTypes/Details/11
- BARD International Workshop Grant - due Jan. 17, 2022 https://www.bard-isus.com/fundingTypes/Details/14
Research priority areas for the coming years:
- Improved efficiency of agricultural production, including sustainable development and engineering, enhancing nutritional value, efficient use of resources & agricultural waste, economic evaluation of policies, regulation, and labor; use of functional genomics & proteomics to protect and produce traits supporting increased crop yield and genetic optimization in animals, focus on heterosis opportunities & consequences.
- Plant, animal, and agricultural environment defense, including pest and host genetics, invasive species & emerging diseases, early stress detection and rapid point of care methods, development of safe and bio-secure biological, physical, & chemical control measures.
- Agricultural production challenges in increased marginal conditions, including climate change & abiotic stress factors such as drought, salinity, high temperatures, nutrient, and soil stress.
- Food quality, safety, and security, including improved assessment and detection methods, nutritive value and post-harvest treatment, reduction of food loss & waste, enhanced supply chain quality and technologies, functional foods, development of alternative quality protein sources including plants, fungi, algae, insects, & tissue.
- Soil & water, quality, and quantity, including efficient use of low-quality water (grey, black, saline), improved economic return for water in agriculture, crop response to soil & water quality & their constituents, impact of nutrients and agricultural chemicals on water quality.
- Sustainable Agri-Environmental Management, including sustainable ag-based energy systems for reduced energy costs, bioconversion technologies, agricultural feedstock, controlled environment agriculture, renewable resources and ecosystem services, circular bioeconomy, reduced agricultural waste.
- Agricultural Engineering/Precision Agriculture - Sensors, instrumentation, & control systems; robotics and artificial intelligence; mechanization for improving labor efficiency; biological engineering, biotechnology, nanotechnology.